12/05/2009

Identity

I am a pirate
pacing a quarterdeck
before a battle.
I am Adam
beneath the apple tree
waiting to bite
into the New Order.
I am a hopeful heretic
praying for immolation
but unable
to strike a match.
I am a corpse
writing a will
in blood and semen.
I am a soldier
watching a friend
erupt in a fog
of pink viscera.
I am a madman
twitching on a couch,
forgotten in a corner
of a windowless chamber.
I am a hero
slaying griffins,
destroying dragons,
ravishing maidens
as my rightful reward.
I am a lover
to whom ladies
open their thighs
and abandon
their honor,
willingly.
I am a tone deaf poet
singing a defeated song.
I am the amateur torturer
carefully sharpening
his instruments,
but then unable to find
meaningful work.
I am a voyeur priest
hearing my own
confession
and finding it
absurdly tedious.
I am all of these
impossible people.
Who are you?
  - mce

1 comment:

  1. I am

    I am a fine mist of dew that drapes at dusk
    I am the loon's cry rippling across the lake,
    and a cricket, redying myself to perform
    the night's symphony.
    I am the rustle of veils pushed aside,
    the uncertainties that crumble in the darkness,
    and all the inhibitions tossed at the foot of a bed.
    I am the perspiration beneath a pendulous breast,
    the softness of human touch,
    and the moan that gets caught in your throat.
    I am the flight of the 10 o'clock plane
    flying over my house every night,
    always en route to a different destination.
    I am the feeling that lingers
    when you wake from a dream,
    the uncertainty that tugs at your brain.
    I am the coffee cup held tight in the morning,
    the cream that swirls its way to the bottom when stirred,
    I am the aftertaste in your mouth.
    mmm...I am.

    ReplyDelete